08 August 2009

Thoughts on Thirty


As I look down the barrel of my thirtieth birthday I feel that it presents as good a juncture as any from which to assess where I'm at. I have to admit it's hard. I am starting to feel in recent years that I am no longer a child. There are moments when I realize that it is time for me to now be an adult and I don't know that I'm ready for it.

Here are some hits and misses from the first three decades of my life. I had hoped that by now I would be through with college, sadly I have fallen far short of this objective. I take classes every semester but the degree seems to be moving ever farther from my grasp. If you catch me at an honest moment I would admit that I don't honestly believe that I will ever graduate. Furthermore, I can't believe that I am still working retail. When asked as a child what I wanted to be when I grew up I can honestly say that I never answered, "Assistant Manager at The Men's Wearhouse", but that is where I find myself. Perhaps, the greatest injustice of the advancement of years on me has been the proliferation of my nose hairs, seriously I have told my body at least a zillion times that my nostrils are not cold but it still persists in growing hair. In all honesty the cure for male pattern baldness exists inside the follicles that line the inside of my nose. If only medical science would dare to go there.

Now, let's talk hits (in order of importance) I have married my best friend in the whole world, we have a marriage that is healthy and continues to be fun. I am learning to love her more and more with each passing day. We have a beautiful child together, she lights up our lives with her smiles, babbling and creativity. I have served an honorable mission for my church and lastly we own our own home. What's more, though I haven't finished school yet I enjoy very much the taking of classes, truly, there lies value in the journey not just in the destination. Also, though I might at times not like the hours or may feel like throttling someone at work (coworker or customer, it depends on the day) I enjoy my job. I have been extended and turned down more than a couple of offers since starting there. The Men's Wearhouse continues to be good to us and I am glad of that.

I guess the only genuine complaint I have about getting older is the nose hairs, now what can be done for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment