31 July 2009

It's All Relative

So I enjoy somewhat of a reputation at work as being "technosavvy", at work anyway. Every time the computers behave in a way that is unexpected, I am the go to guy. Here's the thing, the type of technological crisis that I am faced with involve such things as printers being out of paper or trying to teach people new and exciting terms such as "right click". A little dose of humility is never a bad thing and I got it the other day. My brother came over with his family to catch up but moreover at the request of my wife to establish our wireless internet thus allowing us to be online from the laptop as well as the home computer. As I watched him set up first the wireless doo-dad then get our Wii and laptop on board I have to admit that I was clueless as to what was going on. At one point he offered me some advice as to what to do if it should not work. After having him repeat himself twice I just nodded having no idea what he was talking about. The moral of the story is the next time you think you're good at something spend five minutes with someone who's great, it's eye opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment