14 June 2009

I LOVE MUD!




So I had a blast on Friday June 16th. My friend Tyson has been trying to get together with me for months now so we could just go out and be guys for a day, well we finally got our chance thanks to our amazingly understanding wives. Jenn had to get a babysitter so that she could go to work while I played and Tyson's wife was in the hospital following the birth of their third child just the day before, again our wives our amazing.

We decided to take Tyson's ATV out to the hills behind Caughlin Ranch and to just see where the day took us. Well it seemed that every time we switched as driver we only got more and more adventurous. Tyson found a grove of dead trees that had the nasty tendancy of getting caught up on the roll cage only to suddenly snap back and whip you in your arm or face, or whatever was exposed. We just rode deeper and deeper into the mountains and watched as Reno got farther and farther away. I attempted to take pictures to show the type of terrain that we were traversing but they just didn't do it justice.

Once when I was going up a particularly steep stretch of trail I got a moments scare when the drivers side tires got popped off the ground. I wasn't as concerned with the ATV tipping onto its side as I was all of the inevitable rolling down the hill backwards that would mostly likely follow. After a few seconds that seemed to last hours gravity finally reaserted itself and the two tires found their way back to the ground.




By far my favorite story is a stretch of muddy water that I happened upon. The ATV lacked any type of front windshield so getting soaked was inevitable, but I couldn't resist. I charged at the puddle as fast as I could go. Huge rooster tails shot up on either side of us and a wall of water rose up before us, to our surprise however it did not come through the windshield, the mystery was solved after the ATV bogged down a bit and slowed down. It felt like all that water just hovered directly over our heads just waiting for it's chance to strike, and strike it did. It fell all at once directly onto our heads by the gallon and we were soaked. If you look at the first picture you can make out the small dry spot from where Tyson was sitting. You will have to excuse my stupid grin but I could not stop laughing, it was awesome. Then later through a series of loops that we rode on we came across the same puddle and I just had to go again. The effect was no less dramatic. I could have stayed out there all day long and I was ready to come back and do it again the next day and the day after that and the day after that. It was like a drug.

Thanks again to Jenn and Miranda and their longsuffering towards us. It had been a long time since I was able to just get out and have a good time. Thank you Tyson for the invite.

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite all-time phrases....I happened upon something.....I said it to a co-worker this morning..."I went to the breakroom and happened upon some doughnuts.".....its really solid. I know, I'm wierd.

    You may be onto something here with the offroading...here's the thing: Im not really a man. I have no man skills to speak of, i can't fix anything.....but this treking around in the mud and doing brodies in the forest, this seems like it would give me instant man-credits, something to put on the man-resume. Probably I'd never take of my muddy jeans. I'd just go shopping and run extra errands that way, just to show off my newfound manhood. Good times.

    I gotta do something, watching gilmore girls reruns isnt getting it done.

    ReplyDelete