08 March 2009

Want to see a cadaver?


No I'm not posting pictures of it but I did get asked that exact question. I am taking Biology this semester and my professor is apparently an anatomy expert. We were recently doing a lab wherein we mutated bacteria to make them flouresce green under UV light, (see the picture above) and my teacher asked who was interested in seeing a cadaver. Out of the whole class there were ten brave souls.

I went in there not expecting to be affected much. It's just a husk I told myself. Well when he unzipped the body bag it was eerie, I have to admit. I wasn't the only one because there wasn't one of my classmates that was standing withing three feet of the slab. My professor, Dr. Burke, finally said "She's not going to hurt you, she's dead" and invited us all to gather around. We pulled in close as he removed the skin flaps and lifted the rib cage. It was amazing seeing the human body like that. Everything in there just like in the pictures, only not as tidy. We listened as he pushed down on her arteries and we could hear the accumulated cholesterol make a crunching noise. He was sensitive to us and promised to keep the face and hands covered, apparently that makes it easier for a novice to endure. By the end of course he asked us, "Do you want to see the face?" I got see the human, heart, liver, lungs, stomach, intestines everything. It was an experience I'm glad that I took advantage of.

Okay, I have to admit, I did almost pass out. I blame the smell of the preservatives though. I guess that I looked so pale that he stopped his presentation to ask me if I had to leave and assured me that it would be alright if I did. I stuck it out though and became a vegetarian for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment