16 May 2009

Holy...well that about says it.


Elder David A. Bednar


Elder Neil L. Anderson


Elder W. Craig Zwick


It's not everyday that you get to go to a stake center and hear the teachings of two apostles and a seventy but that was our privilege just last evening. Elders Bednar, Anderson and Zwick have come to our area and last night they held a special meeting for all young adults within a nine stake area. The meeting was amazing and Elder Bednar managed to keep it fun at the same time, I didn't realize that he had such a sense of humor. He actually made several jokes about Mormon culture and tried to clearly delineate the difference between the culture and the gospel. The meeting also took an interesting format, it was conducted completely as a question and answer session with the overall theme being to encourage us to recieve revelation for ourselves. Elder Bednar made the point repeatedly that we did not need to come to a meeting with two apostles and a seventy to recieve inspiration, they had the same scriptures that we have and we are therefore able, with the help of the Spirit, to obtain answers for problems pertinant to our lives directly from the Lord. It felt good to know that we were in the right place.

I have to share one memorable event. We knew that the stake center was going to be crowded but unfortunately due to the demands of getting a babysitter and my having to work we were not able to get there quite as early as we would have liked. Well, just as we stepped into the church who else would walk right by us but the general authorities themselves. They were heading into the chapel and I was taken aback to see them right in front of me. It did not seem possible that I was in the presence of two apostles of the Lord and yet there they stood. I think they read the dumbfounded expressions on our faces and stopped to shake our hands. Elder Bednar, I noticed, was really good about asking your name. They had a power and a presence about them.

The evening was an incredible treat. It lasted for two hours and I felt like I could have sat there through the night. I've never been in a church meeting that seemed to fly by quite like that one. I know that those men are servants of the Lord and I am grateful that we had the opportunity to be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment